“My experience so far trying to work with Health Care Workers (HCWs) who are in the middle of a crisis is you can’t ask for anything, all you can do is try and bring tools & solutions.”
– Dr. Brown
Start your own effort by using the materials found here as a ‘How-to Guide’, then approach your local hospital with a demonstration package.
- Disinfectant wipes or equivalent
- 3+ Devices & Chargers – age doesn’t matter but operating system does:
- Android: 4.4 or greater
- Apple: 10.0 or greater
- Masking tape & marker
- Paper clip
- Wi-fi connection
- 1 Device Stand for nurse’s station
- Envelope or box
- Label maker
- Large, fun stickers
Step 1: start a team
- Get a friend or co-worker to help and make it more fun
Step 2: Acquire devices
- Reach out to your friends and work networks
- Collect 3+ new or used tablets/phones – or purchase tablets if funds allow (ie. Amazon Fire HD8 approx. $100 CAD)
- Make sure the devices can be used – require operating systems of:
- Apple OS 10.0 +
- Android 4.4 +
- Remember to disinfect devices when you get them
- Have the person donating the device sign out of all of their accounts and remove their SIM card
STEP 3: prepare devices
This doesn’t require special IT skills. Follow the detailed step by step instructions and then return here to finish the rest of the steps.
Step 4: Acquire 1 stand per set
- This is best outsourced to someone with access to a 3D printer
- The directions for printing can be found here
- If you do not have someone who can access a printer, try your local maker clubs
- If that doesn’t work out, you can ask us for help: firstname.lastname@example.org
step 5: Prep bundle for delivery
- Package the tablets, charging cables & charging blocks, and stand
- Disinfect everything!
step 6: Connect with a Health Care Worker
- Do you or your friends have nurse/doctor/care home/hospital worker in your circle? Reach out to them!
- You can also contact your local hospital donations team and arrange to give them a test kit to try out
- If you cannot find a home for your kit, you can contact us and we will do our best to pair you with a hospital in need
SHARE AND inspire!
When you are done, we’d love for you to share your accomplishment on social media and inspire others!