Disclaimers / Terms and Conditions
Understand and accept the risks of using these website tools & communicating with the devices constructed using these website tools, Or choose not to use them.
CovidVirtualTools.ca is a community website, provided free of charge, to help community volunteers, patients & healthcare workers. CovidVirtualTools.ca provides instructions for how to repurpose and use older smartphones & tablets, such that health care workers can communicate with patients in isolation rooms during the Covid 19 pandemic. None of the authors, contributors, administrators, vandals, or anyone else connected with http://www.CovidVirtualTools.ca, in any way whatsoever, can be responsible for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages (see full website disclaimer below).
System Risks & Benefits:
- Patients want to communicate with the healthcare team using voice, text & video.
- The Signal app transmits encrypted data safely between devices, see full Signal disclaimer below.
- The internet transmission is secure but the devices are NOT secure, they are portable phones & tablets, they might not have passwords and could be stolen or used by someone other than the healthcare team.
- There is some risk that health information shared on this device may be intercepted or unintentionally disclosed.
- Confirm you are communicating with the right person (show ID on video, don’t text sensitive information).
- Set messages to disappear after 30 minutes.
- Only use the Signal App on community donated devices
- Don’t enter personal information onto community donated devices (don’t log into email, google, enter your credit card etc.).
Understand the ‘Phone Number’ on Community Devices:
- This device has a ‘fake’ phone number that is only used by the Signal app.
- This device can ONLY communicate with other Signal app users (it can’t make normal phone calls or be called by normal phones).
- Please don’t communicate with Signal users except the healthcare team. (If you do, you MUST tell them when you give the device back, so they do not call you in the future).
- If you lose the device, notify the team immediately and the Signal number will be deactivated.
- It is possible for people outside the hospital to ‘Signal Call’ you if they know the phone number.
Signal Disclaimer (also visit https://signal.org/legal/)
- Signal is a secure messaging app. Messages are stored on your device. They are never stored on Signal’s server (except temporarily then deleted). In particular they are never stored on a US or foreign server and subject to US or foreign laws. .
- Use Signal for communication between fellow health-care workers (“HCWs”) and with patients. You should not use Signal for any other purpose.
- E911 and emergency services are not provided by Signal. E911 and emergency services must be accessed through a traditional landline or mobile phone.
- You must take appropriate safeguards to protect all confidential information (including patient information, personal information, health data, or any other like information (“Confidential Information”) sent or received via Signal. Only use Signal in a manner that does not violate applicable law, regulation or social norms.
- Signal is SUPPLIED WITHOUT ANY WARRANTIES, REPRESENTATIONS OR CONDITIONS OF ANY KIND INCLUDING THOSE REGARDING NONINFRINGEMENT OF THIRD PARTY RIGHTS, DURABILITY, MERCHANTABILITY, OR FITNESS FOR ANY PARTICULAR PURPOSE. IN NO EVENT WILL ANY HEALTH-CARE WORKER, HEALTH-CARE AUTHORITY OR SIGNAL MESSENGER LLC (THE OWNER OF THE SIGNAL APP) BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY CONSEQUENTIAL, INCIDENTAL OR SPECIAL DAMAGES, INCLUDING ANY LOST PROFITS OR LOST SAVINGS.
Full Website Disclaimer
CovidVirtualTools.ca MAKES NO GUARANTEE OF VALIDITY CovidVirtualTools.ca is an online collaborative toolkit for creating virtual tools for patient & HCW communication; that is, a voluntary association of individuals and groups working to develop a common resource of human knowledge. Please be advised that nothing found here has necessarily been reviewed by people with the expertise required to provide you with complete, accurate or reliable information. That is not to say that you will not find valuable and accurate information in CovidVirtualTools.ca; much of the time you will. However, CovidVirtualTools.ca cannot guarantee the validity of the information found here. The content of any given article may recently have been changed, vandalized or altered by someone whose opinion does not correspond with the state of knowledge in the relevant fields.
No formal peer review
CovidVirtualTools.ca is not uniformly peer reviewed and thus all information read here is without any implied warranty of fitness for any purpose or use whatsoever.
None of the contributors, sponsors, administrators or anyone else connected with CovidVirtualTools.ca in any way whatsoever can be responsible for the appearance of any inaccurate or libelous information or for your use of the information contained in or linked from these web pages.
No contract; limited license
Please make sure that you understand that the information provided here is being provided freely, and that no kind of agreement or contract is created between you and the owners or users of this site, the owners of the servers upon which it is housed, the individual CovidVirtualTools.ca contributors, any project administrators, sysops or anyone else who is in any way connected with this project or sister projects subject to your claims against them directly. You are being granted a limited license to copy anything from this site; it does not create or imply any contractual or extracontractual liability on the part of CovidVirtualTools.ca or any of its agents, members, organizers or other users.
There is no agreement or understanding between you and CovidVirtualTools.ca regarding your use or modification of this information beyond the Creative Commons Attribution-Sharealike 3.0 Unported License (CC-BY-SA) and the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL); neither is anyone at CovidVirtualTools.ca responsible should someone change, edit, modify or remove any information that you may post on CovidVirtualTools.ca or any of its associated projects.
Any of the trademarks, service marks, collective marks, design rights or similar rights that are mentioned, used or cited in the articles of the CovidVirtualTools.ca encyclopedia are the property of their respective owners. Their use here does not imply that you may use them for any purpose other than for the same or a similar informational use as contemplated by the original authors of these CovidVirtualTools.ca articles under the CC-BY-SA and GFDL licensing schemes. Unless otherwise stated CovidVirtualTools.ca site is neither endorsed by nor affiliated with any of the holders of any such rights and as such CovidVirtualTools.ca cannot grant any rights to use any otherwise protected materials. Your use of any such or similar incorporeal property is at your own risk.
CovidVirtualTools.ca contains material which may portray an identifiable person who is alive or deceased recently. The use of images of living or recently deceased individuals is, in some jurisdictions, restricted by laws pertaining to personality rights, independent from their copyright status. Before using these types of content, please ensure that you have the right to use it under the laws which apply in the circumstances of your intended use. You are solely responsible for ensuring that you do not infringe someone else’s personality rights.
Jurisdiction and legality of content
Publication of information found in CovidVirtualTools.ca may be in violation of the laws of the country or jurisdiction from where you are viewing this information. Laws in your country or jurisdiction may not protect or allow the same kinds of speech or distribution. CovidVirtualTools.ca does not encourage the violation of any laws, and cannot be responsible for any violations of such laws, should you link to this domain or use, reproduce or republish the information contained herein.
Not professional advice
If you need specific advice (for example, medical, legal, financial or risk management), please seek a professional who is licensed or knowledgeable in that area.